Worship in the Episcopal Church is based on the Book of Common Prayer, which has been used by Anglican churches since the 16th century (with periodic revisions). At the worship service on Sunday mornings you are invited to participate in “Holy Eucharist”, also known as Holy Communion or the Lord’s Supper. All baptized Christians are welcome to receive communion, regardless of their age or denomination. Gluten free communion wafers are available.
Upon arrival, our Sunday bulletin will be handed to you by our Ushers. It will lead you through the service, provide hymn numbers, and refer you back to the Book of Common Prayer by page number when necessary. You will also find directions to the restrooms in the bulletin.
Children are always welcome at CHT! We offer Ministry Bags with quiet activities for young children to explore in the pew. (Ask an Usher if you would like one for your child.) The idea is to give the children some quiet activities and help them focus in their own way and at their own level on God and Jesus. Children should feel free to use these during their time in the sanctuary each Sunday. We ask that parents please collect the items back into the bags at the end of the service and return them to the main door area. There is also a “Quiet Corner” just inside the main door to the right with larger activities for children to enjoy. Older children are invited to attend Sunday School during the school year.
Holy Eucharist is offered at the following times:
- Sunday Services at 8:00 a.m. and 10:15 a.m. from mid September through mid June, and 9:00 a.m. during the summer
- For the month of August Holy Trinity will worship across the river at Trinity Episcopal Church, 345 Main St., Portland at 9:00 a.m. Morning Prayer will be held at Holy Trinity at 9:00 a.m.
- Thursday Service at 12:15 p.m.
- Youth Service with Praise Band – 3rd Sunday of every month at 10:15 a.m.
- Additional special services for Christmas, Lent, and Holy Week
Morning Prayer Services are also hosted by parishioners for patients at the Middlesex Health Care Center. Services there are held on the second Sunday of the month.